Friday, June 26, 2009

And the pursuit of happiness

For a long time now, I've had a theory that I could best learn history if it were taught through Pop-Up Video. I seem to still remember many things that I learned years ago by watching VH1 but I can't seem to retain anything when I go to a museum, read a book, or try to hit on any of the other formats that could teach me things about history. Did you know that Diane Keaton directed the video for Belinda Carlisle's Heaven on Earth? Did you know that Madonna shot her video for Take a Bow in a bullring in Spain? I sure do. Jealous? Also, in high school I took an entire class on the Vietnam War and I can't remember too much about what was going on there.

Until my Pop-Up Video charter school idea takes off, I think that we should all stick with Maira Kahlman, starting with her depiction of Monticello. I especially love her take on Thomas Jefferson. In a town where students cheer at the mere mention of his name (and actually usually just call him "TJ") it's nice to get the full story and be reminded that "this monumental man had monumental flaws."

1 comment:

  1. Sam, I think you're a wonderful writer!

    ~ Shir

    ReplyDelete