Monday, July 6, 2009

Bread, soup and beans

Last weekend I managed to restrain myself at the farmer's market and I only got a pint of jalapeños, which proved very useful.






I got them because I had this tasty spicy cornbread in mind:

Jalapeño cornbread

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup olive oil
3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped

(I also added in a little bit of chili powder and cumin for fun).


1. In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients, as well as the peppers. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
2. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cut into squares or wedges. Serve warm.






I also found myself left with an overstock of green beans, but found this really easy recipe on Horse and Buggy (which Matt actually whipped up!)


Sesame Green Beans

1 lb green beans
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 clove of garlic

Preparation:

Boil beans for 5 minuntes then run under cold water. Toss beans with salt, sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Marinate 1 hour in a bowl that has been rubbed with garlic. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.



I also needed to get rid of a ton of cucumbers, hence some summery cucumber soup from the Bartlett's Farm Cookbook.


Thick, cold cucumber soup

2 medium cucumbers (the recipe says to pare them, but I left the skin on since that's where the nutrients are)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, quartered
1 tbs sugar
1 tbs fresh chives, minced
2 tbs fresh mint, minced
1 cup plain non-fat yogurt (I went with vanilla, and what a yummy choice!)
1 cup nonfat sour cream


1. Put everything in a blender. Blend it. Put it in the fridge until chilled. Eat it in between bites of cornbread to cool off from the jalapeños.


No comments:

Post a Comment