Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Swiss Chard





(nom nom nom)

I had never had Swiss chard before, and I assumed it would be like every other similar-looking early summer green thing at the farmer's market (needs lots of added flavor, tastes tough and intensely healthy, like going to vegetable-eating boot camp). Nothing at the stand was labeled and I only grabbed it because I heard someone else identify it. That way, I could say I tried it, and if it went horribly wrong I would know what to avoid the next time. I'm glad to say that can't be further from the truth. Imagine, if you will, turning butter into a vegetable. Yes, it's that confusingly good.

Wash leaves and chop into manageable pieces. Cut off the toughest part of the stalk (either discard or save to use in a later recipe - I used it on pizza). Sautee in pan with some olive oil, minced garlic and red pepper flakes. After cooking for about 5 minutes, add some sea salt and some margarine or butter. Enjoy your paradoxically delicious butter-vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment