Monday, May 18, 2009

An Animaniacs Lesson

Tutoring middle and high school students on their humanities homework has thrown me into the dangerous realm of history and geography, of which I have limited knowledge. Details evade me, but I'm good at large themes and making things up when necessary (English major, anyone?). After helping an eighth grader study for her uninspired social studies test of labeling a blank map of Europe, I realized that I am in need of some refreshers.

Naturally, this is where the Animaniacs come in. Wikipedia describes the show as one mixing "old fashioned wit, slapstick, pop culture references, and cartoon violence and wackiness". While I love the phrase "cartoon wackiness" more than most things, it's also worth pointing out how smart the show (and the songs) really are. Below is a helpful study guide, for those of us who were young but not impressionable enough the first time around.

The Presidents

The Countries

The States and Capitals

Is there a reason why it's the British who knows all of the states and capitals?

No comments:

Post a Comment