Sunday, May 24, 2009

Strawberry desserts and dolls

These crop share strawberries were too gorgeous not to take pictures of:







After their photo shoot, they formed the basis of some delicious strawberry shortcake. I didn't think I liked strawberry shortcake, but that's because I had only ever had the sponge-like fake shortcake from the grocery store. Making it at home is highly recommended - these came out with the perfect sweetness, with a crispy outside and a soft and warm inside.

Strawberry Shortcakes
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix the dry ingredients. Using your hands and/or a spoon, mix in slices of chilled butter until the mixture becomes crumbly. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put about 1/3 of a cup of dough down for each shortcake. You should come out with about 8. Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until cakes start to turn golden on top.





Since I've had Strawberry Shortcake on the brain, I kept thinking about a doll that I used to have. At the time I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, but now that I've looked it up, I've realized that it's inherently creepy, maybe in a David Lynch way.

"Cupcakes hide inside their wrappers 'til it's time to surprise - then out they pop!"

No comments:

Post a Comment